Tuesday, December 25, 2012

1. Nap Eyes - Four More Songs By / Tribal Thoughts

A few weeks ago, I stumbled across Nap Eyes Bandcamp page via a recommendation by Each Other. As fate would have it, I have found the greatest new band ever. These are some strong words, as there is very little information about them. You can search (believe, me I've scoured the internet,) but only find snippets. Here are some facts about this band: 1.) They hail from Halifax. 2.) They have a Bandcamp page, maybe a Last.fm page too, but who uses that shit? 3.) They have a very small number of live videos on Youtube. 4.) A few people have written about them (all praise) on some obscure blogs/websites, much like this one! 5.) There's no five, that's it. However, while for the most part their persona is shrouded in mystery, the music they create speaks volumes about them. When I first listened to their self-titled I thought there was no way way this could possibly be new. Nap Eyes sound like a band that was once, long ago, like some 90's band you never knew existed, THAT WAS DOING SOME 60's REVIVALIST SHIT or something. But, here they are, 2012, completely out of place in the modern music world. Honestly, for me, this just adds to their appeal. While technically, not a full album, the lazily, yet appropriately titled For More Songs By... is immediately appealing. I cannot tell you how much I've listened to it; it's astounding. "Madames of Fortune" kicks off with this simple strummed guitar, as he opens with, "Now the Madames of fortune, will never know the depths of my pain..." I mean you just know you're listening to something different, something special. The singer/songwriter Nigel Chapman has a way with words, deeply sad, yet spiritual, that really resonates with me. And as the drums come in with that buildup, it's over for me. "Four Strong Winds" is this really great sluggish jam that has verses and changes that don't fit the traditional song structure, but somehow work. I love the way on "A Stolen Boy" there is this excellent breakdown, which sounds like this 50's doo-wop ballad ala "Earth Angel". Finally, there is "White Disciple," the single most greatest song I've heard all year, maybe even for as long as I can remember. I mean you just have to hear it. It's fantastic. Only a mere two months later they give us Tribal Thoughts, a sloppy, twenty some minute collection of old and new songs, and I will do my best to break it down for you. There are around eight to ten short tracks here, each interrupted by a loud WHOOOMPH, or a small interlude of what I like to call "noodling." The first is this awesome title track of sorts, which is followed by this one minute cover of The Smiths "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now." Track "3" is this acoustic number that remains one of my favorites, going straight into another awesome jam, reminiscing of Nap Eyes first show. Next we have a sped up version of "Become Our Next Raving Fan," which you can find the original on Nap Eyes'Self titled (not to be missed.) It's hard say with the rest of it, as there's really no telling if one of the jams is a full song, or part of another one. Towards the end, we get what sounds like a b-side or live version of "White Disciple," and then some more "noodlings". It all remains interesting though, as you can hear the band just hitting you with a bunch of ideas for songs, but that is my interpretation. To those that know me, my bread and butter is and has always been 90's indie rock. Nap Eyes have this really simple approach: clean guitar(s), bass, drums; in other words, no bullshit. No fancy production, no special pedals or gimmicks, WHICH IS REFRESHING. The reason I am making such a big deal about Nap Eyes is that when I listen to their music, I hear a ton of artists that I love. I hear a band that has the rawness of early Pavement. I hear the glorious lo-fi recording aesthetic of, and the ability to write GREAT pop rock songs, as Guided By Voices. I hear the Velvet Underground in the influences of their music. I see The Jesus and Mary Chain in their stage presence, (the drummer, playing standing up, with his "less-to-nothing" kit.) I hear echoes of Jeff Mangum on the acoustic track in Tribal Thoughts. I hear Ian McCulloch in the way he sings, "Forget me not..." and I hear The Smiths actually. And yet, still, I hear something new and wonderful. I feel this band, Nap Eyes, have such incredible potential. I feel there is an honesty about them that other bands don't possess. This makes them more than deserving of my favorite album of the year. Nap Eyes cause a ruckus. Set once and for all, The song in the skull, To win evil hearts , And not know what to do with them all. Set once and for all, The song in the skull, To win people's hearts, And not know what to do with them all. http://napeyes.bandcamp.com/album/four-more-songs-by

No comments:

Post a Comment